Thursday, May 5, 2011

My Lovely Fishes, or, "Don't B**** Me!"

I was sitting in the lounge recently minding my own business when The Flatmate came in. We were chatting away quite happily and she mentioned my new fish tanks. (Um, I now have 9…) What began as an innocent enough discussion on filters and lighting soon dwindled to Money.

Oh dear. The paper with the Queens Head on has reared it’s ugly head, mayhem and disorder shall ensue.

“Don’t they cost a ton to run?” she says.
I began by replying, “You’d be surprised, the filters on the tanks don’t cost that much to run at all…”
“Listen, I’m not being funny, but we share the electricity cost* and I don’t want to pay for your bloody fish. You say that, but I know it puts the electricity bill up and I don’t see why I should pay for them.”
“…its actually the lighting that costs the most out of the whole set up. What’s the electricity bill got to do with anything??”
“Oh, um, listen I’m going out in a bit, I’ll see you soon. Have a good evening”

Assume. It makes an ASS out of U and ME. Let people finish their sentences. Potential flatmates, take note.


*Translation: she pays a score a month, I foot the rest. Because I have 9 fish tanks, and they do cost a lot to run.

No comments:

Post a Comment